Monday, April 2, 2012

13 to Life

Title: 13 to Life
Author: Shannon Delany
Published: June 2010
Synopsis from Goodreads:

Everything about Jessie Gillmansen’s life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing. Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she’s about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent—he’s a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie’s small town.
It seems change is the one thing Jessie can’t avoid.


There's something different about the new boy.

Is it his eyes?
His teeth?
The way he smells things?

What the hell? This isn't Little Red Riding Hood!

NO! It's the fact that a police officer brought him in to register for school.

Tre' weird!

Oh yeah... and he's Russian.

Jessica is your average 16 year old Junior. Well, I say average. She's average enough for YA considering one of her parents is dead, she doesn't have a ton of cash but lives on a horse farm...

A horse farm?

Isn't that like raising baby sports cars?

I mean... isn't that like a luxury pet?

Now, before you horse breeders tie me up and whip me .... just keep in mind this is just me thinking... I only own cats and even though they eat food like baby sports cars eat gas... I'm just thinking out loud.

Ok... so, she's not rich, has a dead parent, and oh yeah... a rather extensive vocabulary.

Parents! Want your kids to learn a few new words? You know... like those $5 ones that make me cringe? Then this is the book for them!

I had a rather hard time with all the big words. I'm not the smartest tool in the shed and sometimes these books just make me feel downright stupid. THe nice thing is that it didn't last the entire book. I really wish that I had an e-reader so I could look those words up easily. But that's just me.

So, ok again... we have a girl. Her name is Jessica and her Mom is dead.

Da da daaaa....

But who killed her Mom?

Wait... someone killed her Mom?

Dang... I've said too much.

If you want to know the answer to that then you need to read the book ;)

So, Jessie is called into the office for some reason one morning. SHe has no clue why. And there he is.... da da daaaaa..... A cute boy and his patrol officer.... oh yeah.... and his cute brother, too.

And she's like "WOAH!" but she doesn't want to show it. Instead she wants to act like Peitr is a burden to her because she has to show him how to get to his classes.

I mean... HELLO!! Hot boy!! Why is she complaining?

Oh yeah... she's that typical smart YA girl. Ahhh!!

Well, I guess it would look bad to teenage girls if they just started grinding or something. That might make it more MTV or something ;)

Now.... There's a boy.... there's a girl.... and there's a wolf.

A wolf!!??!!

I thought I said this wasn't red Riding Hood!

It's not!

There are these wolves up in this other town causing all sorts of problems. Like super problems. And nobody can catch them. I guess they are like Big Foot Wolves. And Jessie has a Wall of Weird going on in her bedroom because she's fascinated with them.

Now wait... before I get all Shiver on you... It's not like that. She writes for the school paper and she wants to find out more about them to write a story.

Oh snap... but isn't it convenient that Pietr just came from the same town where the Big Foot Wolves were spotted last?

Da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaa!



Free Kindle Download of Greta Maloney's novel Ryder on Amazon. Now through April 4th. Don't miss out!

1 comment: