Saturday, April 7, 2012

Love and Leftovers


Title: Love and Leftovers
Author: Sarah Tregay
Published: December 2011
Synopsis from Amazon

My Wish
is to fall
cranium over Converse
in dizzy daydream-worthy love.
(If only it were that easy.)

Marcie has been dragged away from home for the summer--from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She's left behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "summer vacation" has become permanent. She has to start at a new school, and there she leaves behind her Leftover status when a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you've lost it?

Love & Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl's journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up whole.

When I was in 9th grade there wasn't a name for our group.

Neither in 10th or 11th.

I think it was in 12th they started calling us Freaks just because they couldn't think of anything better.

When I was in school there was one of us who was good at twirling, one who dreamed of being a Mom and read trashy romance novels, another who was really smart, a boy who was a Johova Witness, and another boy who was from the Church of Christ and was addicted to Uno. One of us was good at art, another cheated in math and chemistry (cough cough... she knows who she is), and me.... I stole material from stand-up comedians I saw on A&E and SNL (and cheated through chemistry).

We were good at everything. Well, put together there was at least one of us who knew how to do it.

We couldn't be labeled jock. We weren't emo enough to be cutters. None of us had anger management issues to be a bully or a girl who started fights. Only one or two of us went to the prom. And one did have a baby.

Oh yeah, and I was a Girl Scout for a while.

We were the Leftovers.

And that's what this book is about.

That group of kids that doesn't fit into one clique.

This is Marcie's story.

Marcie is from Idaho who now lives in New Hampshire. She thought it was just for the summer. Boy was she wrong! Her mom and dad have decided to call it quits on their marriage. And mom's family is in New Hampshire. Plus she doesn't want to go home. It's too painful when her husband has a secret life that he is now willing to admit.

That leaves Marcie even more out of place. Her best friend and her emo rocker boyfriend are in Idaho. What's in New Hampshire? Just a bunch of people who talk funny.

She wants to go home. But she can't. Her mom needs her. It's been so long since she saw her smile. She can't leave her like that.

Marcie starts school and that's when she meets J.D. An athletic popular boy who sits at the athletic popular table.

Does Marcie know what love is? Is it possible? Is it cheating if it's so far away?

Greta's Thoughts:

I really enjoyed how this book was written in verse.
My main complaint was Linus's song lyrics. I'm sorry but they were lame ;)
I thought the plot was clever even though there wasn't a big big ah-hah moment. But that's a good thing. It made it more real.

Greta's price range:
This book is not in my price range. I'm sorry but I can't see myself spending nearly $18 on a book that only took me like 5 hours to read. This is more of a used paperback buy or a rental from the library (for me)

The next Ellen Hopkins?
I'm not sure about that one. This is the 3rd verse author I have read. It does however make me wonder who decides what is verse and what are just sentences.

Boy or Girl?
For the girls!

Age:
I would think anyone older than 13 would be okily dokely for this book. Not a lot of cussing, a bit of under the sweater action, and a neon green condom. I've seen worse on tv.

Characters:
All the characters were very interesting. I guarantee you'll be able to relate with at least one or two of them.

Kids of today:
I kind of wonder if the kids of today will be able to relate to this story. Sure there are things like cell phones and eyeliner. But there is also mention of The Violent Femmes, Jonny Depp (do teen girls really find him sexy?), and Napoleon Dynamite. I just kind of feel this book was written more for the late-20 year old crowd rather than the pre-teens/teenagers. I mean, they go to Redbox and rent Chocolat. Uhhh.... what 15,16,17 year old of today does that?

But that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable. It just makes me wonder.

Greta Alert:
You betcha! This book has an Aunt Greta!

All in all:
This book is great. I loved how short and simple it was. I loved the plot. Fell in love with the characters. And could understand the hardships that Marcie was going through as she tripped through New Hampshire.



1 comment:

  1. I am really not so much into verse written stories but this one always looked to cute!! Glad you enjoyed it :-))

    ReplyDelete