Monday, April 30, 2012

Pink Smog: Becoming Weetzie Bat

Title: Pink Smog: Becoming Weetzie Bat
Author: Francesca Lia Block
Published: January 24, 2012
Synopsis from Goodreads

The girl in the mirror wasn't who I wanted to be, and her life wasn't the one I wanted to have.

Despite how much Louise insists, no one will call her Weetzie. It's her dad's nickname for her, but it won't stay put. Neither will her dad. Charlie left Louise and her mom and he took everything with him: her family, her home--and her understanding of who she's meant to be.

But Los Angeles is a city full of strange angels, and Louise embarks on a journey to sift through the smog of her heartbreak, to grow her own wings, to become Weetzie.



Before we met Dirk.
Before found Duck.
Before Secret Agent Lover Man, Angel Juan, Cherokee, and Witch Baby.
Even before the time of Slinkster Dog and Go Go Girl

There was Louise.

But she'd like it much better if you called her Weetzie.

Pink Smog is the pre-quel to "Weetzie Bat". Weetzie is 13 years old and in 7th grade. Her Mom and Dad have been fighting and her Dad has finally moved out. Mom, whether heartbroken or unsure what to do next, has taken to the bottle. While Weetzie is left to take care of her and try to live a normal life.

But that's kind of hard to do in 7th grade. Just like high school, junior high can be cruel.

Greta's Thoughts:
Whenever I think of Weetzie, I always think of this Sheryl Crowe song.

But this book is before. In "Pink Smog" Weetzie's life is hard. I found it hard to believe that Weetzie wasn't always full of fun sunshiney rainbow glitter smiles. Sure, she has a good outlook on life but I couldn't believe how many people were mean to her. It helps you understand why Weetzie is so carefree in the later books. If Weetzie can make it through Junior High then she can make it through ANYTHING!

On the way Weetzie does befriend 2 outcasts. They form a club formed by a cruel joke and stick together through thick and thin. This just shows you how loyal Weetzie can be.


Mindblowing?

No, not really. The writing in the book didn't knock me off my feet but it did make me believe that a thirteen year old was telling the story. Maybe that's what FLB was going for. If it was she did a bang-up job. And it does make sense. Most kids don't find their voice until they get a bit older.

Plot:
This probably isn't the best Weetzie Bat book to start with. There are some Ah-HAH moments that will help you understand the later books. I think everyone should start at the beginning. But otherwise that, the story was very interesting and I loved how short it was. Shortness is key to me. It guarantees that I'll probably read it again.

Rated R?
This is a teen book so of course there is a bit of cussing. There isn't much. Also, there is a bit of drug use. If your kids watch "That 70s Show" then this book won't scar them at all.

Overall:
I love Weetzie. I love her style. I love her voice. I love how carefree and caring she can be. I enjoyed watching her grow up into a 40 year old woman. And I loved hearing her tale before she was our Weetzie Bat. For any girl out there who wants to read, get inspired, and dream.... might I introduce you to a girl named Louise.... but you can call her Weetzie.



No comments:

Post a Comment